ForgeRock OpenDJ Installation in a Linux Container
So after I bid farewell to over a decade long teaching profession, I’ve now joined the band @ ForgeRock. Feels at home, as I now find myself amongst some familiar folks, doing activities on popular open source products on Identity Management that has always been so dear to me.
Without any further ado, let me do my bit to introduce the ForgeRock products to you. To start with, I’ll help you setup ForgeRock’s directory service solution ‘OpenDJ’. Because I’ve a plan to show you the entire ForgeRock product portfolio over the next few weeks, I’ve setup the OpenDJ component in an OS virtualization solution. I’ve my own OS preferences, but for the sake of demonstration, I’ve decided to use the freely available Ubuntu OS. And in Ubuntu, we will create Linux Containers (a.k.a LXC), light weight OS virtualization solution. Over the next few weeks, we’ll have one container for each of the ForgeRock product.
Rather than writing a lengthy essay on the steps to create/configure Linux containers (LXC) and then install/configure ForgeRock’s OpenDJ, I’ve decided to publish my video logs here, which I think might turn out to be more convenient for you sit back and watch.
So here’s what I’ve done:
– Installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a VirtualBox. [Video 00]
– Performed Package updates post installation.[Video 01]
– Installed the packages required for creating LXC.[Video 01]
– Installed the LXC Web Console package (to access LXC using BUI). [Video 01]
– Upgraded the host OS from 14.04 to 14.10 [not shown in the video]
– Cloned the LXC to create a new Linux Container for installing ForgeRock’s OpenDJ. [Video 02]
– Downloaded the OpenDJ software. [Video 02]
– Installed / Configured OpenDJ in a Linux Container [Video 02]
In case you are familiar with the Linux and Linux Container installation, feel free to skip the video 00 and video 01. Please also note that video recording was paused during the lengthy package installation procedure, which otherwise would have put you to sleep.
For a detailed introduction on OpenDJ, watch this video